Sunday, May 10, 2015

Post 4

Busy schedules on both my part and my partner Alex's are making it hard to fit in an actual build day. We have most of a plan put together. A plywood base with sugar cube walls secured together with some glue. We have a layout of walls and such but not the time to do it. We will probably end up working on it at nights during weekdays. But we have continued research about Roman culture and how it has influenced the Western world.

In this post I would like to discuss Roman religion. Now, I know no Western Civilization practices the Roman form of polytheism, but you see its effects all around you. All of the planets are named after Roman gods. Even some of our brand names are Roman, Mars Company and Venus for example. But the true influence is from Christianity. I know you are going to say, "No way, the Romans crucified Christ. How is Christianity related at all?" Well, let me tell you. In 312 AD (or CE for you common era aficionados) Emperor Constantine saw a great cross in the sky before a battle, he won the battle and believed it was the doing of Jesus, this began his conversion to Christianity. Once the emperor converted it was only a matter of time before the entire Empire was celebrating Christ. This is what propelled Christianity into the spotlight, and why it is so prevalent in modern society.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting to think about how we still to this day use Roman names for celestial bodies and how the Roman Empire switching to Christianity was the major proponent to its prevalence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting that you find this interesting. Lets start at the word "interesting" According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary interesting, by definition, is "arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention." Now lets take Kyle into consideration. We all know what Kyle likes, anything to do with computers. Since these "celestial bodies" are very loosely linked to computers we can make the determination through the process of elimination that in fact Kyle is a chronic liar. Now Lets move on to Jon and Alex's Post. I find it interesting about how we still use Roman names for celestial bodies and how the Roman Empire switching to Christianity was the major proponent to its prevalence.

      Delete
  2. Ok that is really awesome. I didnt know about the corrilatin between christianity and the romans. i cant wait to see what you guys build and how it turns out. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your project. I recently read a series that included some cool Roman Gods and realized we do name a lot of things after Roman Gods. I really know nothing about religions throughout history, so this is all news to me. Next time I'm in a historical conversation, though, I can inform everyone about how the Romans converted to Christianity and why!

    ReplyDelete